Tuesday, April 12, 2016

Dirk Day

So I wrote this post a couple months ago and didn't get around to posting it until now. But here it is!
Costa Rica October 2010
Five years ago this February, my dad passed away. For those who do not know, he died at age 55 from adrenal cancer, from which he fought for about a year and a half ish.

A lot has happened in the last five years that I wish my dad had been here for. Meeting Cameron. Getting married. Graduating from BYU. Moving to Kansas. Having our first baby, Henry Dirk. And so much more.

To honor my father this week, Cameron and I (and Henry, of course) celebrated "Dirk Day!" We spent the entire day doing things that my dad loved to do. We started the day off with his favorite meal of the day: breakfast! We had scrambled eggs with cheese, fresh hashbrowns, sausage links, and juice. It was delicious. Growing up, my dad always made a big breakfast on Saturdays, just like this one. He would usually add hotdogs to the scrambled eggs, but Cameron says that's gross, so we forewent the hotdogs and stuck to cheesy scrambled eggs. :)


In the afternoon, we went on a "hike". Let's just say it was a Kansas hike. But the weather was incredible and it was the perfect hike for our family. Not too long or hard. It was just right. My dad was very outdoorsy and loved going on hikes. He also loved camping, rappelling, fishing, canoeing, and anything else outdoors. So a hike was fitting for Dirk Day.




After our hike, we picked up some ribs from Chili's for dinner. My mom said my dad always got ribs whenever they went out to eat, so we thought of him every delicious bite! I don't think I had ever ordered ribs before and I don't know why- They were fantastic! Messy, but so yummy. :)


Henry loved the ribs, too

Henry seemed to enjoy his first Dirk Day, where he got to eat like grandpa and hear stories about grandpa all day long. We look forward to teaching Henry more and more about who he was named after and what a great legacy he left behind.

My dad was the most spiritual man I have ever known. His testimony and example has been such a strength to me, even though he has moved onto the next life. He was such a caring, generous, upstanding, respectful, and kind soul. I look up to him every day and I am grateful for the time I had with him. I wish he were still here on this earth, but I know I will see him again and I cannot wait for that reunion. And I also can't wait to introduce Cameron and Henry to my dad.

I love you, Dad. God be with you until we meet again.
Anna

3 comments:

  1. This is beautiful, Anna. What a sweet tribute to your dad. He sounds like an incredible man!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is awesome! What a wonderful way to honor your father!

    ReplyDelete